Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Merewood Memories: Entry #1

What's a journey without the occasional trip down memory lane?

I plan to share "Merewood Memories" from time to time, and I hope to beg/nag/talk my friends and family members into doing the same. They aren't in any particular order.

I got really sick when I was 15; I had viral meningitis and mono, scary shit. I was really run down and wasn't taking super care of myself, so I picked up these illnesses from who knows where. I spent a night or two in the hospital- this fun visit included a spinal tap, which, at that point in my life, was probably the worst pain I'd experienced. Once discharged, I spent maybe a week or two at home (can any of you remember how long it was? it is a little foggy for me), supposedly recuperating. Further tests showed the mono was actually going to get worse before it got better.

I had to withdraw from school for the rest of the fall semester. I'm sure some people thought I was pregnant or something, but I promise... it really was mono. HISD provided a homebound teacher, so I was able to keep up with school (I was finally able to understand geometry, since I didn't have Mr. Hale teaching me during my convalescence!), but it was exhausting. Just existing was exhausting. Talking on the phone with friends for 20 minutes would wear me out, and I would conk out for a few hours. Really- any activity, no matter how easy or short, was exhausting.

I knew I could safely rest, though... I had Stocky, my Lhasa Apso, guarding me! Stocky was a strange dog, probably because of inbreeding (male Lhasas tend to be aggressive because of this). He could be the sweetest, most loving dog, and then he'd turn on you and bite the shit out of you. During this time, though, he took such good care of me. He'd get on my bed and lie on the foot of it, guarding me from anyone (including parents) who *dared* approach the bed! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
  
Stocky and me, just as I finished recovering from mono.
  
 
Stocky gnawing on... something. At least it wasn't human.

No comments:

Post a Comment